AJS 542 Week 3 City Demographics and Crime Profile -
Resources: Use the following websites:
· U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics: www.bls.gov
· U.S. Department of Labor Wages—Educational Level & Pay: www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/educational.htm
· U.S. Department of Education: www.ed.gov
· U.S. Census Bureau: www.census.gov
Select a U.S. city of your choice.
Write a 1,450- to 2,250-word paper in which you analyze the criminal profile of your selected city. Include the following information in your analysis:
· Characterization of the city in terms of social and intellectual context
· Identity of social factors that contribute to crime
· Linking of events or attitudes to a description of beliefs people living there would accept for explaining criminal behavior
· Consideration of changes in land use, property values, transportation, and retail as one moves away from the city center
- If there are changes, what distance do you estimate exist between these areas?
- How noticeable are the changes?
· Discussion of whether or not zones of transition apply to this city
· Identification of criminal hot spots
· Relevant data to support answers
· How your findings relate to the role of socioeconomic status and values in criminological theory
· Identification and rationale for the choice of one sociologic theory that best explains the crime in your chosen city
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.