REL 133 Week 3 Knowledge Check -
1. Siddhartha Gautama is the name of
- the person who became known as the Buddha.
- one of the earliest disciples of the Buddha.
- a missionary who spread Buddhist teachings.
- an Indian translator of essential Buddhist texts, who worked in China.
2. The Buddha lived about this time.
- tenth century B.C.E.
- fifth century B.C.E.
- second century B.C.E.
- first century C.E.
3. The Buddha was particularly troubled by the problem of
- whether there is an afterlife.
- the existence of the divine.
- suffering and death.
- the exploitation of the poor.
4. Vinaya refers to
- the robe worn by monks.
- a collection of rules for monks and nuns.
- the afternoon chanting of sutras.
- an amulet blessed by a monk and worn for good luck.
5. The basic outlook on life, formulated by Buddhism, is contained in
- the four major yogas.
- the Four Noble Truths.
- the four castes.
- the Four Passing Sights.
6. Regarding the common belief in a permanent soul, the Buddha seems to have taught that
- there is none.
- each person has one, but it dies with the body.
- the soul is more important than the body.
- souls are constantly being reborn.
7. Nirvana seems to come from a word that means
- blow out.
- reach out.
8. A major goal of Buddhism is
- union with God.
- physical health.
- reaching heaven.
- inner peace.
9. The dissatisfaction and sorrow that life brings is called
10. Buddhism focuses especially on
- maintaining inner peace.
- achieving material success.
- attaining all one’s goals.
- using one’s talents well.