PSYCH 535 Week 1 Multicultural Competency Paper -
Assess Guidelines #1 and #2, located in the Electronic Reserve
Readings for this week:
• American Psychological Association. (2003, May). Guidelines on multicultural education, training, research, practice, and organizational change for psychologists. American Psychologist, 58(5), 377.
Prepare a 700- to 1,050-word paper based on your assessment, in which you apply these multicultural guidelines and standards to your personal life and workplace. (note: you must specifically address each
guideline in your paper and apply them to your personal and workplace life).
The paper should be written in the first person.
Answer the following questions (the questions below should be shortened in to APA formatted sunheadings in your paper-e.g. Biases, Perceptions and Beliefs):
• What biases, perceptions, attitudes, and beliefs might you hold about culturally different groups?
• How might attitudes or perceptions influence your interaction with individuals who are culturally different from yourself?
• How knowledgeable are you about the values, practices, and experiences of individuals who are culturally different from ourself?
Explain your answer.
• What are your strengths and weaknesses in interacting with culturally different individuals and how might you address shortcomings?
Format your paper according to APA (6th edition) standards.
Content and Organization
All key elements of the assignment are covered in a substantive way.
• · Applied multicultural guidelines and standards to your personal life.
• · Applied multicultural guidelines and standards to your workplace.
• · Discussed biases, perceptions, attitudes, and beliefs that you hold about culturally different groups.
• · Discussed how your attitudes or perceptions influence your interaction with individuals who are culturally different
• · Discussed how knowledgeable you are about the values, practices, and experiences of individuals who are
culturally different from yourself?
• · Identified and discussed your strengths and weaknesses in interacting with culturally different individuals.
• · Discussed how you might address any shortcomings.
The content is comprehensive, accurate, and/or persuasive.
Major points are stated clearly; are supported by specific details, examples, or analysis; and are organized logically.
The introduction provides sufficient background on the topic and previews major points.
The conclusion is logical, flows from the body of the paper, and reviews the major points.
Readability and Style
Paragraph transitions are present and logical and maintain the flow throughout the paper.
The tone is appropriate to the content and assignment.
Sentences are complete, clear, and concise.
Sentences are well-constructed, with consistently strong, varied sentences.
Sentence transitions are present and maintain the flow of thought.
The paper, including the title page, reference page, tables, and appendices, follow APA guidelines for format.
Citations of original works within the body of the paper follow APA guidelines.
The paper is laid out with effective use of headings, font styles, and white space.
Rules of grammar, usage, and punctuation are followed.
Spelling is correct.
Paper is between 700 - 1050 words.
Total 100 Percent
Points Possible 6
Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.