OPS 571 Week 3 Quiz -
1. When considering outsourcing, what should firms tend to avert?
- Allowing outsourcing to develop into a substitute for innovation
- Losing control of noncore activities
- Giving the outsourcing partner opportunities to become a strong competitor
- Allowing employees transferred to the outsourcing partner to rejoin the firm
2. What is the important starting point in developing a capacity plan?
- Predicting the ability of suppliers to meet needs
- Determining the effective capacity of a resource over some period of time.
- Predicting the needs of customers
- Understanding key components of the supply chain
3. Which of the following is an input to the master production schedule (MPS)?
- Bill of materials
- The aggregate plan
- Exception report
- Inventory records file
4. Which of the following is an input file necessary to run an MRP program?
- Planned order schedules
- Bill of materials (BOM) file
- Exception reports
- Quality management report
5. Which of the following forecasting methods is very dependent on selection of the right individuals who will judgmentally be used to actually generate the forecast?
- Simple moving average
- Time series analysis
- Delphi method
- Weighted moving average
6. The main purpose of aggregate operations planning is to specify the optimal combination of which of the following?
- Inventory on hand and financing costs for that inventory
- Workforce levels and inventory on hand
- The workforce level and the degree of automation
- The strategic plan and the products available for sale
7. Which of the following is an essential resource that flows through a hospital supply chain?
- Doctors and Nurses
8. In business forecasting, what is usually considered a short term time period?
- Four weeks or less
- Six months or more
- Less than three months
- More than three months
9. Which of the following is an input file necessary to run an MRP system?
- Planned order schedule
- Exception report
- Inventory records file
- Computer aided design files
10. Which of the following is most closely related to the reason a firm might implement MRP?
- So they can order the right parts
- So they can order parts sufficient for immediate use
- To assure appropriate quality levels
- So they can insure that parts to arrive D. To assure appropriate quality levels
11. Which of the following is one of the main purposes of a MRP system?
- Decrease labor requirements.
- Educate personnel in basic work rules.
- Determine the materials needed.
- Stimulate the work force.
12. The text mentions several common approaches to use when developing a strategy to close a capacity gap (where utilization of a resource exceeds capacity available). Which of the following is among the common approaches mentioned?
- New construction
- Hire more employees
- Closing a related department
- Transferring capacity from other units
13. Which of the following is a perpetual system for inventory management?
- Fixed time period
- P model
- Fixed order quantity
- First in first out
14. Which of the following is considered a pure production planning strategy?
- Stable workforce, variable work hours
- Variable workforce, stable work hours
- Lag demand
- Level playing field
15. In conducting aggregate operations planning there are a number of required inputs. Which of the following are inputs considered most external to the firm?
- Current physical capacity of the organization
- Raw material availability and competitor's behavior
- Internal inventory levels and market demand
- Subcontractor capacity and inventory levels
16. In most cases, demand for products or services can be broken into several components. Which of the following is considered a component of demand?
- Future demand
- Cyclical elements
- Inconsistent demand
- Past demand
17. Which of the following is an input to the master production schedule?
- Prototype products from product development
- Aggregate component schedule
- Peg reports from factory records
- Forecasts of customer demand
18. What is the effect of the lack of synchronization among supply chain members?
- Bullwhip effect
- Continuous replenishment
- Metcalf's Law
- Forward buying
19. Which of the following is one of the categories of manufacturing inventory?
- Work in process
- Economic Order Inventory
- JIT Inventory
- Quality units
20. Which is the most challenging kind of supply chain to manage according to Hau Lee?
- Risk hedging
21. What is another name for the fixed order quantity inventory model?
- Cycle counting model
- The ABC model
- Economic order quantity model
- Periodic replenishment model