HIS 301 Week 4 Quiz -
1. Based on Planned Parenthood of Pennsylvania v. Casey, which of the following governmental conditions imposes an undue burden on a woman’s right to choose an abortion?
- spousal consent
- informed consent
- parental consent for underage persons with a judicial bypass procedure
- waiting period of 24 hours between consent and the procedure
2. If a broadcast journalist reports false information about a non-public figure, thereby resulting in damages to a victim, what would this illustrate?
- reporter’s privilege
- shield law
3. Between 1963 and 1990, which standard of review was used by the Court to evaluate free exercise claims?
- neutrality test
- Lemon test
- rational basis test
- strict scrutiny
4. Which case (majority opinion) adopted the “bad tendency” test as a means for resolving disputes involving the freedom of speech?
- Virginia v. Hicks
- Schenck v. United States
- Brandenburg v. Ohio
- Gitlow v. New York
5. If a professor at a public school imposes a policy barring students from wearing all types of hats in the classroom, this would most appropriately be labeled as a _________?
- ban on protected speech
- neutral law that may impact students’ expression
- content-based limitation on political speech
- regulation of protected speech
6. Each of the following is a standard under the Lemon test EXCEPT:
- law must give equal access to all religions
- law must have a secular purpose
- law must not foster an excessive entanglement
- law’s primary effect must neither advance nor inhibit religion
7. Which Supreme Court Justice has made it known he would like to review restrictions on commercial speech under strict scrutiny analysis?
- Antonin Scalia
- David Souter
- John Paul Stevens
- Clarence Thomas
8. Which view of the Establishment Clause would allow greater interplay between government and religion?
- conscientious theory
- separationist view
- high-wall theory
- accommodationist view
9. Which of the following is NOT considered to be a current mode of analysis used by the Court to review alleged violations of the Establishment Clause?
- non-denominational test
- Lemon test
- endorsement test
- coercion test
10. Which case addresses so-called partial-birth abortions?
- Gonzalez v. Carhart
- Webster v. Reproductive Health Services
- Planned Parenthood v. Casey
- Roe v. Wade