HUM 111 Week 8 Quiz -
On what trade was Florence's wealth based?
- Raw wool
- Olive oil
What literary trend does Boccaccio's Decameron introduce into Western literature?
- A framing tale
In what area of Italy are Siena and Florence located?
- Po Valley
- Tiber basin
In what language did Chaucer write his Tales?
Why do pictures of the Virgin Mary abound in Siena?
- Mary allegedly appeared in Siena in 1317
- Siena was home to Italy's largest painter's guild
- Their cathedral claimed to have her bones
- Siena called itself "ancient city of the virgin"
According to Pico della Mirandola's Oration on the Dignity of Man, what great gift makes humans "the most fortunate of living things"?
What were the Renaissance humanists aiming to understand?
- The relationship between art and logic
- The relationship between humanity and the divine
- The nature of humanity and its relationship to the natural world
- The relationship between the physical universe and the divine
Why did the Florentines drive the Medici family from the city in 1494?
- Savonarola convinced the Florentines that the Medici were decadent
- Florence was conquered by Ludovico Sforza's forces
- Piero de Medici formed an unpopular alliance with the French king
- The Pope transferred the papal funds from the Medici banks
What implicit lesson does Mantega's Camera Picta send to Ludovico Gonzaga, ruler of Mantua?
- Attracting skilled artists adds prestige to a ruler
- A large family is a ruler's greatest asset
- Angels will watch over and protect a ruler
- A ruler always is in the public eye
What biblical scene were the baptistery-design entrants to create?
- The Fall of Adam and Eve
- The Crucifixion of Christ